[78-L] A doubt about EQ curves

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Oct 15 15:32:51 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

Kristjan Saag wrote:

> ...Has anyone of you thought of "compensating" for the increasing
> difficulty to hear higher frequencies when doing restauration work?
> I'm curious to know.

I would *never* trust my ears alone to do restorations. I use a
spectrum analysis (a function of the sound editing software I use) to
determine the proper equalization, not what it "sounds like."
Although I can hear a television's horizontal oscillator (15.734.26
Hz here in the US), it's doubtful that most 78s actually have such a
high recorded frequency at any appreciable level. Late ones, maybe,
but nothing prewar.

That said, I do have the treble control on my amp nudged just
slightly north of center, as a matter of preference. Same with the
bass control.

Take care,

Joe
--
"Watch a cat when it enters a room for the first time. It searches
and smells about, it is not quiet for a moment, it trusts nothing