[78-L] Thanks for the answers to a beginner's teejus questions

Rod Brown raudiobrown at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 23:48:48 PDT 2011

Hello list,

I attempted to send the following a couple of day ago, and it never seemed
to arrive, at least not to the digest version that I receive. If this is a
re-run for some or all, please accept my apologies.

My thanks to David, Harold, Mike, Matthew, Cary, and Sammy (and maybe a few
others I'm forgetting) for their thoughtful replies.

Harold, I enjoyed the two audio clips quite a lot. They proved your point
decisively. I'll enjoy those clips again.

Mathew, I hope to get a chance to hear a podcast or two soon, so thanks for
the links.

I like the idea, virtually unanimously expressed, that continuing to explore
any and all the possibilities is a better strategy than disqualifying the
output of entire labels. And deciding for myself what I like or don't like,
without much regard to another's undisputed truth--that's a type of life
lesson I need to keep re-learning, it seems.

Mike, I meant to reply sooner to your generously instructive message. I did
check the numbers of these (12 inch) Richard Jose records. Nothing out of
the ordinary to report. "Maggie" is the same version everyone else has.
"Dear Old Girl" is the 31172 version of Dec 10, 1904. I was intrigued to
learn of the practice of ordering matrix numbers between those of known
recordings, just as a sort of speculative mining operation. There's a real
collector mentality, seems to me. However, that tactic apparently wasn't in
play here.

I'm a little surprised by how much I like RIchard Jose, as I don't usually
gravitate toward acoustic recordings. They can be historically interesting,
but not always aesthetically satisfying. Jose was apparently known for nice
uncomplicated songs of great sentimentality, and I suppose I should admit
that such material suits me fine, at least on occasion. Perhaps Richard Jose
will be the one to attract me deeper into the acoustic world.

There were a few other of his recordings available at the same junk shop
whence these came, so I'll go back this weekend and buy up the remainder.
I'll be surprised if they're gone by then, said junk shop being frequented
by lots of ipod-wearing 20-somethings. Charming chilluns, and one or two
show a passing interest in shellac, but most of these kids will make do with
vinyl.

Thanks again to the list membership. I'm thinking up more beginner's
questions to pepper you with, so be warned.

Best,

Rod