[78-L] Pathe 20" use, was pizza sizes

bruce78rpm at comcast.net bruce78rpm at comcast.net
Sun Oct 9 06:34:07 PDT 2011

Are you sure you are not confusing these with the 16" Pathe records, which were the last vertical groove U.S Pathe products? According to Ron Dethlefson's Pathe book, the records were actually 15 5/8" , and played at 130 rpms and required the special Pathe Concert Actuelle phonograph to play them. These were referred to by Pathe as The Pathe Giant Records and were first pressed in 1923-24 for use in movie houses and dance halls where extra volume was needed and were probably leased for that purpose. A few years ago I found a box of some of these Pathe Giant records and in amongst them were also the same size records with a Music Service Inc. Label, and the only machine I could play them on, was a friends transcription phonograph. I have heard from some other collectors that there is a fellow in the Northeast who actually owns a Pathe Concert Actuelle Phonograph on which to play these "Giant Records". The 20" Pathe-Theatre discs played at 60rpms, and according to the reference book, served as sound sources for a film series of complete operas produced by Pathe in 1911 or 1912., and it is not clear what playback equipment was used for these records.