[78-L] Annie's Cousin Fanny

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 5 06:26:25 PDT 2011

On 10/5/2011 9:22 AM, Michael Shoshani wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 15:12 +0200, Kristjan Saag wrote:
>> The Brunswick recording of Glenn Miller's tune, by the Dorsey Brothers
>> Orchestra on June 4th 1934, is featured on Naxos' "Stop Look And Listen"
>> compilation. According to the liner notes the vocals are supplied by
>> Tommy Dorsey, Kay Weber, Don Mattison, Skeets Herfurt and Glenn Miller.
>> Does anyone know who says what in the solo parts? I can make out at
>> least two, perhaps three male voices. It's Glenn at the end, right?
>> But at least three of you guys were involved in the Naxos production, so
>> I'm pretty optimistic to get the right answer...
>> Kristjan
>
> It's Glenn at the end and Tommy at the beginning.  Skeets sings the
> verse about the house without a bath, in almost a Johnny Mercer style in
> this version; Kay Weber sings the only verse sung by a woman, so that
> leaves Don Mattison announcing that Fanny wouldn't shake.
>
> The first version, from June 4th, is wonderfully inspired; the second
> version, from August of the same year, is woefully labored. I have no
> idea why they didn't just issue the Brunswick take on Decca rather than
> re-recording it, but it's clear the band was either having an off day or
> was sick of the song by then.
>
> BTW, check out the WackyPackia entry for Annie's Cousin Fanny. Lennick
> gets credit for producing the original 78. I kid you not.
>
> MS

Oh yeah? Did I get paid for it? Move over, Jack Kapp. As for Decca reissuing
the Brunswick take, how could they? Decca got the artists, but not access to
pre-1932 masters until the early 40s, and never to any of the post-1931
material. I don't think Miller speaks on the later version but don't hold me to
that.