[78-L] Annie's Cousin Fanny

Michael Shoshani mshoshani at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 5 06:22:07 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 15:12 +0200, Kristjan Saag wrote:
> The Brunswick recording of Glenn Miller's tune, by the Dorsey Brothers
> Orchestra on June 4th 1934, is featured on Naxos' "Stop Look And Listen"
> compilation. According to the liner notes the vocals are supplied by
> Tommy Dorsey, Kay Weber, Don Mattison, Skeets Herfurt and Glenn Miller.
> Does anyone know who says what in the solo parts? I can make out at
> least two, perhaps three male voices. It's Glenn at the end, right?
> But at least three of you guys were involved in the Naxos production, so
> I'm pretty optimistic to get the right answer...
> Kristjan

It's Glenn at the end and Tommy at the beginning.  Skeets sings the
verse about the house without a bath, in almost a Johnny Mercer style in
this version; Kay Weber sings the only verse sung by a woman, so that
leaves Don Mattison announcing that Fanny wouldn't shake.

The first version, from June 4th, is wonderfully inspired; the second
version, from August of the same year, is woefully labored. I have no
idea why they didn't just issue the Brunswick take on Decca rather than
re-recording it, but it's clear the band was either having an off day or
was sick of the song by then.

BTW, check out the WackyPackia entry for Annie's Cousin Fanny. Lennick
gets credit for producing the original 78. I kid you not.

MS