[78-L] quality control problems - Poor Vinyl

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 22 08:07:54 PDT 2011

Both sides the same? I've had a couple of nice examples. One was Ravi Shankar
on World Pacific, both sides the same. The other is Stokowski on United
Artists, Canadian mono pressing, where both sides are "Schelomo" (which is a
piece I loathe even once let alone twice) instead of the Ben-Haim work that
should be on the reverse.

Quintessence issued an album whose cover and labels announced Gershwin's
Concerto in F and Rhapsody in Blue. I programmed it on CHFI's overnight
classical program and their quality control was generally very good so I never
auditioned it. It must have been on the air two or three times before an
operator who actually knew the music noticed that it was Handel or somebody
else and had more than the correct number of tracks. Oops!

And don't forget those early Capitol stereo lps with phase reversal, sometimes
in the middle of a track.

dl