[78-L] Newest Robert Johnson reissue...

Milan P Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 06:32:34 PDT 2011

Hello to all members,

today, I read following lines from inside booklet in newest Robert Johnson reissue:

"For the Texas sessions of 1936 and 1937, Law's team included sound engineer and recordist, Vincent Liebler. Together, they captured the sound of Robert Johnson on state of the art equipment which utilized for the first time in regional sessions, acetate recording discs. Not long before, such discs had been only adequate for use on home recording machines, but they had recently been improved to the extent that they could be utilized for professional uses. Those original acetates are one reason that the Robert Johnson masters provide such a comparatively wide frequency response." - Stephen C. LaVere

Is it true? I always thought that lacquers were invented for professional recording lathes, and that during mid 1930s amateurish machines used another type of blank media such as aluminum, pre-grooved or blank, wax and various other types. And after that, during 1940s they used cardboard core based acetate media, steel core and so on? Is it so?

Thanks!

Milan