[78-L] Newest Robert Johnson reissue...

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Sep 6 07:14:59 PDT 2011

He is correct and toan extent so are yoyu but you have the timeline
wrong.  Uncoated aluminum first was used by Pathe in the teens in the
acoustical Pathepost system but was re-introduced by Speak-O-Phone in
late 1927 and got more widespread use in 1929 into the mid-30s.  This
was used professionally for airchecks but with one exception was not
good enough for mastering.  (There is a pair of shelllac  Bob Emery
discs that Steve Barr and Dr. Donna Halper have which were mastered on
Speak-O-Phone discs.)  The RCA Pre-grooved plastic disc was introduced
in 1930, and there might have also been some pre-grooved aluminum but I
do not have any specific reports on this.  These are by no means usable
for mastering. Floppy gelatin and celluloid were reported in 1931 and I
know of some used for professional airchecks in 1933.  Gelatin was
coated on glass in Europe in 1933.  The major improvement that is
discussed in the CD notes came in 1934 with the introduction of high
quality lacquer discs and a high quality machine for them by Presto.
The first ads for them came in October but I have seen some dated back
in July 1934.  These were fully capable of high-quality masters,
although I would not go so far as to say that professional wax mastering
was not as good.  It was just less CONVENIENT for portable field
recordings.  Where it made the biggest difference in professional field
use was in replacing wax cylinders and uncoated aluminum used by field
recordists like John and Alan Lomax.  I think that this is what affected
the liner notes writer's understanding of the technology. The home use
of cheaper versions of lacquer coated discs did come later in the 30s as
you describe.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com