[78-L] Billy Murray program

Ryan Barna ryansrecords1 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 17 19:40:52 PDT 2011

I'd like to thank everyone for their kind comments regarding my tribute/"plea for help" last night. I have not yet listened to the broadcast, since I hate the sound of my own voice, and I'm sure I goofed in a few spots too -- I think I should have rephrased one of my sentences as, "In the early teens Murray had more records to his name in the Victor catalog than any other VOCALIST (yeah, I'm pretty sure Arthur Pryor had the most as an ARTIST.) But I think it went well considering that most of it was "on the fly," with only a few notes in front of me, and with very, very, very slight mic fright.

I'd like to answer Mike Biel's emails in particular. I'm happy to say that Barbara Prosser is still living and interested in Murray, but she has not been active as a hobbyist for many years. (I didn't find her -- she came to me!) She has been a very loyal contributor to my own project, and I'm very proud to call her my friend. We still communicate every month or so.

She began to compile her discography in the 1970s for her own use for collecting Murray records, but she eventually gave up thinking it was impossible. I have a copy of her typewritten discography, including the handwritten additions and corrections she made to it. I also have a photocopy of her original advertisement in Record Research (September 1978, page 12), so if you have a copy of this issue, you should read her ad at the bottom right-hand corner of the page, it's fascinating. A lot of her data was also compiled from the help of Robert Morritt, whom I also know. Robert also gets credit for starting (what I think was) the first fully-functional Murray website in 2000. It's been gone for several years, but he congratulated me when he found my site, and I'm proud to know him.

The only real praise I can give the Hoffmann/Carty/Riggs book is that it was -- and still is -- the only effort to obtain and distribute the most amount of Murray research in a single, printed format. The book also happens to be convenient for Dick Carty and myself -- whenever we get in touch with someone new, and they're a little reluctant to share anything, we either send them an extra copy of the book to say "thank you," or to help generate their interest. So far, it's always worked.

To answer what many have asked, I really should not distribute the complete Crumit/Murray broadcast without the approval of Michael. I have gained a lot of trust with collectors/institutes regarding valuable and private material, and I prefer to retain that reputation. I DO have several other Murray radio programs, including the entire Edison Hour from 1929, a few of the National Barn Dance programs, and more. I do not have complete details for the Crumit program yet, but I hope to have them in the next month or so (label info, matrix info, etc).

I will say this: I am always willing to go the extra mile and return favors for others, as long as they're willing to help me. I'm especially looking for anything on this list: http://www.denvernightingale.com/discography/wants.html, so check your collections, and perhaps I can help you out as well. I'm also looking for people who will be willing to help me edit, or contribute a second point of view, or add some additional context. I'm always open to suggestions.

One more thing about my own book project -- I'd like to have it out by 2014, not just to honor the 60th anniversary of his passing, but also because I have so many people who are eager to have it. Still, I'm flexible. I just keep saying "it'll be ready when it's ready." I am going to do this ONCE, and I am going to do it RIGHT.

-Ryan Barna