[78-L] preserving an Edison phonograph - request for info

neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 19:49:30 PDT 2011

This was forwarded to me by a friend, pls respond to the list and to Ms.
Kresmer directly. I believe she is looking for info on preserving the
machine.

Thanks,

Joe Salerno
===========

Good morning,

My library recently acquired an Edison cylinder phonograph, complete
with horn and about 10-15 cylinders. We have them because Thomas Edison
listed recording audio books for the blind as one of his phonograph’s
possible uses. We have a growing collection of technology for the blind,
so this pretty much fits right in.

But I have never worked with this kind of thing before. Does anyone have
any experience with this technology? I’m not interested in attempting to
play or digitize any of the cylinders at this time, but I would like
some preservation and storage tips. Any advice from the collective
community would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Anna

Anna K. Kresmer, MSLS
Archivist
Jacobus tenBroek Library
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute
200 East Wells Streetat Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230
Telephone: (410) 659-9314, ext. 2310
<tel:%28410%29%20659-9314%2C%20ext.%202310>
Email: akresmer at nfb.org <mailto:akresmer at nfb.org>