[78-L] marketing CD's

warren moorman wlmoorman3 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 17:27:33 PDT 2011

The cost of BF is higher in the US because it is an imported product, but mostly because it is designed to be a collector's comprehensive, deluxe package of music and book/notes. There have been some BF samplers and single disc items that are priced like other premium single disc releases. Not unlike Mosiac, who have supplemented their usual collector's box sets with the Mosaic Select line. For BF, access to the masters is often obtained through the German subsidiaries of the major companies, despite the fact that Richard got his start issuing some material in a gray area of copyright, if not outright bootleg.

If you consider the actual cost to Universal of issuing the Hip-O-Select releases-wherin they already own the rights, don't come close to the research, photos and notes of BF, and may use existing masters of an earlier release rather than work from the original masters for optimal sound-then the per cd markup by Universal is far greater than on a typical BF release. As Cary said, it's because Richard (like the Mosaic team) have a vision of creating definitive legacy issues.

Many of us can certainly relate to regret at not being able to afford certain Bear Family or Mosaic sets, but I'd rather know that they've been created and exist than to think that they never will be.

Warren