[78-L] marketing CD's

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Aug 11 16:13:39 PDT 2011

I've worked for Bear Family on a number of occasions. Richard Weize has his heart in the right place and knows it's a losing battle to issue these things, but does it anyway. He produces limited quantities - some of the boxes have only a couple of hundred pressings. He doesn't pay annotators well, considering the volume of material they put out, but it's prestigious to have your name on a BF product so we do it. He's been at it now for some 40 years, since the original Folk Variety LPs came out in the 1970s (these were those odd-looking black-and-yellow albums with photographs printed in negative on the cover). The sound quality he gets is hit and miss (mostly hit), depending on what he gets to work with. What I don't understand is how he gets such easy access to all of the metal parts when many others are turned away. Bear Family has easily the most astounding track record of issuing complete runs of recordings in a wide breadth of genres. He probably has an amazing private collection. Nothing I ever showed him ever impressed him, except for rare test pressings of unissued titles.

Cary Ginell