[78-L] pre-1920 Japanese labels

Hopkins/Kato hopkat at sa2.so-net.ne.jp
Fri Jun 10 00:55:50 PDT 2011

You have a fairly interesting collection here, and I can get a sense of the
personality of the original accumulator. My usual fee for a translation
project would be a shot at two of the records, so I hope you'll consider
selling one of them to me!!

First of all, most are from after 1920, but not by too much.

312 Asahi label "Sakanaya Honda" pts 1-2 (not complete) of a naniwabushi
narrative song, performed by Kyoyama Hanachiyo, who was a rare female
performer of this genre. If complete, this might be valuable. Probably 1924.

805 Tsuru label (subsidiary of Asahi) "Yotsuya Kaidan (sometimes Kwaidan)"
also a naniwabushi narrative song. Japan's most famous ghost story, also
incomplete here, only pts 1-2. Performed by Naniwatei Ayataro, a fairly big
name. ~1924

1535 Nipponophone (major label of mid 1920s-1930s, continuing after
acquisition by Columbia 1927 as a high class, trad Japanese music oriented
label) "Sansho Hanshichi" a Gidayu narrative of a complete scene from a
longer work, sung by Toyotake Rosho. She was very popular and this is
probably a reissue. mid 1920s

2703 Nipponophone "Nichiren Ki" Any Buddhists on the list? This is a
biographical narrative song about the founder of the Nichiren Sect, pts 3-4
only. Sung by Tochukan Kumoemon, the most famous of all naniwabushi singers.
reissue

30 Nitto also a 1920s high class label based in Osaka. "Asagao" a complete
scene in two parts from a play, performed again by gidayu singer Toyotake
Rosho. reissue

177 Nitto "Oharabushi sawagi" 2 pts complete performed by Ohara Manryu
Ichiza. Sounds like a theatrical company name. Is it group singing in the
geisha style?

346 Nitto "Sendai Hagi" a joruri narration pts 1-2 not complete. Takemoto
Jitodayu (?) can't read the name clearly. This one is probably a tough slog.

613 Nitto "Akagaki Genzo" this is a chikuzen biwa narration of a heroic
story, performed by someone named Toyota (I can't read the given name) it's
probably complete over 4 parts

1466 Nitto Another naniwabushi, "Fuwa Shikiemon (?)" performed by Tochukan
Myoun, a disciple of Kumoemon listed above. Complete in 2 parts

1901 Nitto Purple "Egypt no Yu" this is a genre called shoseibushi, the
songs are often topical, sometimes political, usually very simple
arrangements (sometimes only voice and violin.) Performer is Saito Issei.
B-side is "Kokyo no Uta"
     This one deserves to be in my collection, not yours!

2349 Nitto Purple Two geisha kouta sung by Yamamura Toyoko, one of the most
popular of the early geisha to record.  Songs are "Fukagawa Kuzushi" and
"Yanagi Bushi." Maybe a reissue. The two purple Nitto are probably from
around 1925.

2332 Starkton  I think Starkton had a relationship with Lyrophon of Germany.
This is probably older, maybe late 1910s. Shakuhachi with singing. Out of
focus so I can't read the performer's name.

2997 Tokyo records I can't read much here either, but these are pts 3-4 and
pts 7-8 of a gidayu narration. Probably late 1910s.

Lots of different _narrative_ musical forms. This is music to put on when
you want to feel really Japanese amidst a world changing to
internationalized modern.

I'm guessing that's more than you wanted to know! Let me know if you can
part with the shoseibushi record!

David Hopkins
Nara, Japan