[78-L] Help on background of 1962 78 by The Pearls

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Jun 11 16:23:27 PDT 2011

On 6/11/2011 10:33, agp wrote:
> At 04:26 10/06/2011, MB wrote:
>> oops
>>> I found a web site that lists a lot of pearls recordings
>> http://www.uncamarvy.com/Surveys/poll21.html
> Unfortunately -- the Pearls in question on this page aren't the
> Pearls on the 1963 78 -- and this is somewhat indicated at the bottom
> of the page. I have a letter out to Stan Applebaum who worked on the
> recording to see if he knows anything about this group. We shall see

I more or less stated that in my previous email. The reason I sent this
alone was because I forgot to add the link in the previous one. I found
a few of the songs on Youtube. The first 2 sound like your Pearls. The
Lamp 653 has a strong female presence with a male lead.
Unbelievable that the eras of the groups overlap.

I found a web site that lists a lot of pearls recordings and seems to
make a distinction between 2 sets. When I found some of them on Youtube,
etc, the group that is called the "Fabulous Pearls" is male, But a
number on Lamp 653, "Shooting High" is a girl backup with a male lead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96PIcaMD5Ok
Baby baby baby...

Interesting reading here about the "Fabulous Pearls" ( all male group
from Detroit). Did Baby Cortez' "Happy Organ" hit the fast wax?
Arranger used to work for Erskine Hawkins...

Here's the flip
"Can I call you Baby"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARJHmMO_zI&feature=related

And then there were the 4 pearls, from Washington
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLfP7HlCUUg
The flip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otp-k2qeAmI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eFv127P2Eo&feature=related
Who are also the "Fabulous Pearls" (mixed quartet).
Not to be confused with...

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.