[78-L] Assistance Requested with Broadway DO

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat May 28 19:28:54 PDT 2011

On 5/28/2011 7:30, DanKj wrote:
> http://www.box.net/shared/095zkflgy1
>
> http://www.box.net/shared/rljxrc63z2
>
> http://www.box.net/shared/4enstkp0qd
>

>   The two Okeh files are probably the same "take", but are from different sources&  one was a lot slower than the other.  The
> Edison sounded fast to me, so that's been slowed to sound more like the one I thought sounded about right.  While the
> orchestra plays well enough, the Edison recording is weak and tinny - it's from the 'audition pressings' at the Lab,
> transferred some years ago.   Now that I've listened to them over and over (trying to remove the most egregious ticks), I
> prefer the Okeh version.

They all sound slow to me. Listen to the oboe and banjo.

Try these. I left the 1st Okeh version alone. It seems to be fast enough.
The Edison version has a flat oboe solo, but seems less so when sped up.
All instruments sound more plausible. Another thing, the scratch pitch
sounds more normal. I agree the Okeh version has more "plump" to it.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.