[78-L] Assistance Requested with Broadway DO

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sun May 29 11:47:42 PDT 2011

On 5/28/2011 9:28, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
> On 5/28/2011 7:30, DanKj wrote:
>> http://www.box.net/shared/095zkflgy1
>>
>> http://www.box.net/shared/rljxrc63z2
>>
>> http://www.box.net/shared/4enstkp0qd
>>

>>    The two Okeh files are probably the same "take", but are from different sources&   one was a lot slower than the other.  The
>> Edison sounded fast to me, so that's been slowed to sound more like the one I thought sounded about right.  While the
>> orchestra plays well enough, the Edison recording is weak and tinny - it's from the 'audition pressings' at the Lab,
>> transferred some years ago.   Now that I've listened to them over and over (trying to remove the most egregious ticks), I
>> prefer the Okeh version.
>>

> They all sound slow to me. Listen to the oboe and banjo.
>
> Try these. I left the 1st Okeh version alone. It seems to be fast enough.
> The Edison version has a flat oboe solo, but seems less so when sped up.
> All instruments sound more plausible. Another thing, the scratch pitch
> sounds more normal. I agree the Okeh version has more "plump" to it.

I wanted to add that we don't know how these files were originally
captured. Edisons in particular are difficult without proper training
and equipment. I got a few from Jerry Fabris at Edison archives that
have much fuller fidelity. He uses Stanton 500, does not mention stylus dia.

We used to be able to get copies from the Edison archives. I don't think
that is possible anymore.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.