[78-L] Matrix Numbers Question

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Fri May 27 12:51:31 PDT 2011

Greetings from FixitLand!

CDB (78records at cdbpdx.com) wrote:

> Greetings.  I am still a little fuzzy about the matrix numbers on
> records and the meaning of all the numbers and letters.  For
> example, I have one record with CO48881-1A and another with
> CO48881-1B.  Does the A and B mean different takes?

It *might.* Usually, a -1A and a -1B indication will refer to
different masterings (or dubs) of the identical performance. But this
is a 1953 Columbia number...and nearby Columbia mxs. CO 48875-1A and
-1B are DIFFERENT takes. (Benny Goodman "What A Little Moonlight Can
Do", 23 Feb. 1953) Your matrix, CO 48881, is "Come Back To Me" by
Pete Hanley (OKeh 6980). I found your YouTube video of the white-
label promo pressing; presume you also have the regular pressing. The
only way to know for sure if you have two different takes is to
transfer them both and "marry" the two into the left and right
channels of one file, in sync. If you hear significant differences
when played back, or you can't keep 'em synced up, you've got two
different takes.

Take care,

Joe
--
"There's no need for a piece of sculpture in a home that has a cat."--
Wesley Bates