[78-L] Kaufman's Pagan Love Song on LP

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri May 27 17:33:08 PDT 2011

My LPs are in various nooks and crannies and I'm unable to locate my set of
that old Columbia LP warhorse set   "The Original Sounds of the Twenties,"
but maybe one of you can provide me with the info.

One cut on the thing is a wonderful electric recording of Irving Kaufman
singing Pagan Love Song.   As I recall,  the notes in the booklet state that
it's from an 800- or 900-series Harmony.

If memory serves,  some years ago I found the Kaufman  Harmony and it was
the typical acoustic recording of the era...not the version on the LP.

Just the other day I got Romeo 979 by Kaufman (as "Harry Smith") of Pagan
Love Song...and I swear that this is the version which is on the LP set!

Can anyone confirm,  deny,  belittle,  or congatulate me on my suspicion and
conclusion?

BTW,  the "Harry Smith" from this era of "Is It A Sin" has a tremendous jazz
group backing up Irving...there are at least two very different takes on
Romeo and Cameo,   and maybe a third version on Perfect (under K's real
name).

Thanks from

Taylor