[78-L] Matrix Numbers Question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri May 27 20:02:48 PDT 2011

I'd say outside start, since comments I've read from people like Irving Kolodin
(okay, Biel, correct me on this one) referred to using the outer portion of the
disc "for better quality". As I say, entire sessions with breakdowns and
rehearsals were also captured in this fashion and I've heard what I'm sure are
takes from well inside the discs. I also believe they were vertical cut, as was
the practice at World Program Service who initiated the system..don't know if
Columbia's own engineers cut verticals or laterals. Doug Pomeroy might know.
(Decca also cut 33rpm originals as verticals.)

dl