[78-L] the 'deadest' consumer audio formats?

Anthony Pavick agp2176 at verizon.net
Mon May 16 09:41:44 PDT 2011

In fact I do listen to Ken Bruce, albeit a day late. I used to live stream R2 into an mp3 from Alex Lester through to Wogan - carefully excising TBW, elsewise known as Sarah Kennedy. When Chris Evans took over for Wogan, I dropped him too - far too frenetic for me. So now I do Ken Bruce via listen again. Haven't listen to U.S. radio in over 10 years

--

bradc944 at comcast.net wrote:

I *do* know that BBC Radio 2 uses MD for some things... if you listen to Ken Bruce's mid-morning (for the UK) program(me), he does a quiz called "Pop Master". For the bonus questions, he uses snippets of tunes, and THOSE I know are on MD. How do I know this? because one day the player wouldn't co-operate and he came very close to uttering a profanity at it, then explained to the listeners (and the poor contestant) that he had a dodgy MD player, and that the 'boffins' would be in with another one "...imminently." I can ask one of the people I have twitter contact with at BBC R Newcastle... he also does cricket commentary for Durham County. Brad ----- Original Message ----- From: agp <agp2176 at verizon.net> To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com> Sent: Sun, 15 May 2011 14:14:05 -0000 (UTC) Subject: Re: [78-L] the 'deadest' consumer audio formats? At 18:08 14/05/2011, BC wrote: >You're thinking of Fidelipac cartridges... there was a big hole in >the bottom of the case towards
the front, iirc, and that was for the >tape transport. I sued to use them as well in the 70s in >radio. Pain in the butt to spool up, but you learned how to >re-spool 8-track carts from that! Yep -- Fidelipac. Come to think of it, we had a few explode on us once or twice. Not nice. So the question is -- what is being used now. Is it all a big computerised jukebox thingie? Given the lack of human touch in much of what is loosely called radio these days (I hate crap like the various Lite-FMs, BOB, Joe , and any other name that pretend to play anything but don't, and things like voice tracking), I can't see much of a need for carts - -or human beings either :-( Oh -- I thought that I had heard a few years back that various BBC local radios had gone to mini-disc for 'jingles' and such T_____________________________________________