[78-L] Chick Webb alternate takes

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed May 11 12:35:23 PDT 2011

I have a few label images of De 1220-A (Webb: You Showed...), but only on the
Canadian issue the take can be read and it is A.
There are 3 variants of the U.S. label:
- 1. Sunburst label. [poss. also A]
- 2. Block label (not in album).
- 3. Block label; side 3 of album 138 (Chick Webb), with personnel on label.
Possibly the takes can be attributed to certain label types.

On the images it looks if the matrix on the Canadian issue is placed closer to
the label rim than on the US issues; its distance to the label is ca. the size of
one digit.
The distance on the US labels seems to be almost 1.5-2 times the digit size.
Are Canadian labels larger than the US labels?

Han Enderman
===
>>> Between Ruppli's Decca discog, Rust, Lord and CD reissues, there are various
claims as to which take appeared on 78. But now you have confirmation both
came out on Decca 1220. And could this have been an 8 title session?
Matrices 62070 and 62071 are by Louis Armstrong with Andy Iona and his
Islanders and were recorded on the same day and a Dick Robertson session
with matrices 62074 through 62077 were also recorded on the same day.

							NYC, March 24, 1937
62064-A	Rusty Hinge (LJ-vcl) (VA-arr)				Dec 1273
62065-A	Wake Up And Live (EF, LJ, CL-vcl) (VA-arr)	Dec 1213
62066-A	It's Swell Of You (LJ-vcl) (VA-arr)			    -
62067-B	You Showed Me The Way (EF-vcl) (VA-arr)		Dec 1220
62067-A	You Showed Me The Way (EF-vcl) (VA-arr)	    	    -
62068-A	Clap Hands! Here Comes Charley (ES-arr)	          -
62069-A	Cryin' Mood (EF-vcl) (VA-arr)				Dec 1273
62072-A	Love Is The Thing, So They Say (EF-vcl) (VA-arr)Dec 1356
62073-A	That Naughty Waltz (CD-arr)				    -

Scott Wenzel

 I have a spare copy of the Webb A-take in E condition, Canadian pressing.
Alternate takes often turn up in Canada.

Lionel Hampton's Hey Ba-Ba-Re-Bop has a couple of differing takes, as I recall,
but I see only one listed in the Decca books.

dl

<<<