[78-L] Age of record collectors

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 12:27:52 PDT 2011

Hi Earl,

Am I right in thinking that the 78s you bought in the mid 50s brand new were
from a shop that had stocked them in the 20s and kept them as they just hadn't
sold?

I have heard about people buying 78s in record shops in the early 60s including
ones from the very early 1900s (single sided) and were charged whatever the last
list price was for the items.....but then other people were getting the same
records from other shops for a penny each in bulk because the shop thought they
would never sell them as 78s were no longer the standard format - they were
happy to get shot of them!!??!

Unfortunately I wasn't around back then...I bought my first single sided 78s
aged 10 and a half, but that wasn't until 1996!

Regards
Matthew
Stockton on Tees, England.