[78-L] Museum quality?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat May 7 15:12:02 PDT 2011

On 5/7/2011 12:44 PM, J. E. Knox wrote:
> Greetings from FixitLand!
>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>
>> Sadly we don't yet have a "78 rpm museum" (other than my
>> half-vast shellac archive///?!)...!
> What-chu talkin' 'bout, Steven? All of us hoary old 78 collectors
> have "78 rpm museums."

There have been a number of phonograph MACHINE museums, real public
museums.  And they usually have records.
> And how many museums (regular ones) out there, if they indeed had 78
> records on display, would allow the treasures to be dismounted from
> the walls and actually Played And Enjoyed (tm)?

Some of them regularly play records because they play the machines.

>> What we need is a physical
>> version of the "Abrams Files"...I am working on this...!
> Several people are. Ty Settlemier's Online Discography Project is
> based on the Abrams Files.

The Rigler-Deutsch Record Index was intended to be an in-person index to
the major sound archives' pre-microgroove holdings.  If you are at the
archive that holds the record, you could hear it.  We were 25 years
ahead of our time, and time has passed the RDRI by in many senses, but
it still can be useful.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com