[78-L] Museum quality?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat May 7 18:31:57 PDT 2011

From: "J. E. Knox" <rojoknox at metroeast.org>

> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> Sadly we don't yet have a "78 rpm museum" (other than my
>> half-vast shellac archive///?!)...!
> What-chu talkin' 'bout, Steven? All of us hoary old 78 collectors
> have "78 rpm museums." Some of those "museums" are more private than  >
> others, perhaps...but quite a few of us apparently welcome visitors.
> Some "museums" are larger than others (mine contains about 25,000
> items; yours is, so you state, about half-again larger; Lennick's
> is...well, an order of magnitude larger...). But "museums" they are!
> And how many museums (regular ones) out there, if they indeed had 78
> records on display, would allow the treasures to be dismounted from
> the walls and actually Played And Enjoyed (tm)?
>> What we need is a physical
>> version of the "Abrams Files"...I am working on this...!
> Several people are. Ty Settlemier's Online Discography Project is
> based on the Abrams Files. I am currently "massaging" all that data
> in Excel spreadsheets. (And yes, it requires a LOT of massaging. The
> Abrams Files are, by design, hampered by abbreviations and omissions,
> and do contain more than a few out-and-out errors.)
> This is getting away from the original aim of this thread, but that
> might be a good thing.

True...but each of us has a few thousand (to a few ten thousand) 78's!
As I noted, we need an institution which can (1) provide a place for
the heirs/heiresses of 78 collectors to donate (worst case sell?!)
their inherited collections/accumulations...and (2) a web facility which
can offer access to listings of 78's (Abrams Files et al)

Steven C. Barr