[78-L] Beack Boys 78s - Cryptic Inscriptions in Runout Area

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Apr 25 17:46:06 PDT 2011

On 4/25/2011 7:30 PM, Martin Fenton wrote:
> On 25/04/2011 23:34, David Breneman wrote:
>
>> I'm also intrigued that the labels say "Originally released
>> 1990."  As 78s?
> As recordings. They'll be taken from the 1990 CD masters (which have
> since been superceded by remasters.)

This is standard wording for copyright purposes.  You routinely see it
on CD reissues of pre-1972 78s for example, and it appears on most
British records.  Format of the original issue is unimportant.

> Hold on, though - aren't some of these recordings meant to be
> newly-released?   Martin.

Hmmmm.  I wonder if they ever CLAIMED the second disc has unreleased
versions.  My copies arrived today, and looking at the first disc it
says the recordings originally released 1966 and 1967 respectively.  On
the second disc, Good Vibrations is marked as an "early take" and Heroes
and Villains as an "alternate take".  Both are labeled as originally
released 1990. So apparently these takes were NOT unreleased takes, and
the records and sleeve never states that they are unreleased.  We just
ASSUMED they were!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com