[78-L] Beack Boys 78s - Cryptic Inscriptions in Runout Area

Martin Fenton mafenton at talktalk.net
Tue Apr 26 06:21:19 PDT 2011

On 26/04/2011 01:46, Michael Biel wrote:
> Hmmmm.  I wonder if they ever CLAIMED the second disc has unreleased
> versions.  My copies arrived today, and looking at the first disc it
> says the recordings originally released 1966 and 1967 respectively.  On
> the second disc, Good Vibrations is marked as an "early take" and Heroes
> and Villains as an "alternate take".  Both are labeled as originally
> released 1990. So apparently these takes were NOT unreleased takes, and
> the records and sleeve never states that they are unreleased.  We just
> ASSUMED they were!!

The penny finally drops. Presumably, then, the alternate versions are
those first heard on the 1990 "Smiley Smile" / "Wild Honey" two-fer.

I'm even more intrigued now. Aside from backing track montages, there is
only one "complete" edited alternate, with vocals, of "Heroes &
Villains," retrieved from a 7.5ips dub made back in 1966 (the original
mixdown tape having been wiped.)

"Good Vibrations," on the other hand, has numerous alternates which have
been released piecemeal over the years. I'm now assuming (that word
again) that the alternate version chosen for release on the 78 is the
complete recording with Brian Wilson double-tracked vocal, alternate
lyrics and no backing vocals, as found on the 1990 CD (as opposed to the
backing track excerpts, including take one, also on that disc.)

Has anybody actually played it yet to find out?

Martin.