[78-L] Beack Boys 78s - Cryptic Inscriptions in Runout Area

Martin Fenton mafenton at talktalk.net
Mon Apr 25 16:30:05 PDT 2011

On 25/04/2011 23:34, David Breneman wrote:

> I got my copy of the Beach Boys 78s today, and the first
> thing that caught my attention (after the disappointment
> of realizing they're microgroove) is that each one has a
> "pithy saying" scribed into the runout area, as follows:
>
> Good Vibrations - "Jump in the pig pen"
> Heroes and Villains - "Next time I'll take my shoes off"
>
> G.V. Early Take - "Hit the dirt, do two and a half"
> H&V Alternate Take - "Next time I'll leave my hat off"
>
> Does anyone know what the significance of these might me?

Excerpts of lyrics to songs recorded for the ultimately-shelved "Smile."
Apart from "Jump In The Pig Pen" - don't recall it from any Smile
out-takes I may have heard, but it IS a line from Bob Dylan's
"Subterranean Homesick Blues," is it not?

> I'm also intrigued that the labels say "Originally released
> 1990."  As 78s?

As recordings. They'll be taken from the 1990 CD masters (which have
since been superceded by remasters.)

Hold on, though - aren't some of these recordings meant to be
newly-released?

Martin.