[78-L] Beardsley's work and the associated site and other assorted musings

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Apr 21 18:14:45 PDT 2011

On 4/21/2011 1:38 PM, bradc944 at comcast.net wrote:

 > how does one get gainful employment as an archivist/transferer of
material, etc?
 > Libraries around here demand 'academic library experience' (I had an
application
 > for Digital Project Facilitator at Denver University shot down
because of that, not
 > to mention it was dealing with printed-material archiving using
Fedora and Fez...)...
 > howabout an archive that could use someone with a good ear, knowledge
of the music,
 > and how to meld analog source material into the digital age? Dream
job, or just a dream...
 > I'm available (and it beats working 3 night a week at the stop-n-rob)!

This has come up a number of times on the ARSCLiat where occasionally
there are job listing posted.  Our own Steve Barr has been the most
vocal complaining about the Library Science Degree requirements and
other similar nonsense.  Following that there have been a few postings
where there are notices that the requirements are flexible, but I bet
when it would get to a committee with all the print oriented library and
archive bosses, these applications would get rejected.  They tend to
want to hire only their own kind.  In other words, BIGOTS.

On the other hand, George Blood HAS been good about wanting "our kind"
in his employ, and a great job offering last year was just up my
daughter's alley, but I couldn't get her to apply because she does not
want to leave New York City -- even for Philadelphia!

Mike (retired and not looking for work!) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com