[78-L] Beardsley's work and the associated site and other assorted musings

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Apr 24 17:06:28 PDT 2011

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>

> > how does one get gainful employment as an archivist/transferer of
> material, etc?
> > Libraries around here demand 'academic library experience' (I had an
> application
> > for Digital Project Facilitator at Denver University shot down
> because of that, not
> > to mention it was dealing with printed-material archiving using
> Fedora and Fez...)...
> > howabout an archive that could use someone with a good ear, knowledge
> of the music,
> > and how to meld analog source material into the digital age? Dream
> job, or just a dream...
> > I'm available (and it beats working 3 night a week at the stop-n-rob)!
>
> This has come up a number of times on the ARSCLiat where occasionally
> there are job listing posted.  Our own Steve Barr has been the most
> vocal complaining about the Library Science Degree requirements and
> other similar nonsense.  Following that there have been a few postings
> where there are notices that the requirements are flexible, but I bet
> when it would get to a committee with all the print oriented library and
> archive bosses, these applications would get rejected.  They tend to
> want to hire only their own kind.  In other words, BIGOTS.

My complaint is the simple fact (note that is of ever-diminishing interest
to me as my age advances...!) that even though I have copletely catalogued
a 78 collection now numbering over 67,000 discs...and also compiled one
of the standard reference works in the field...I suspect that were I to
apply
for any of the library-related positions which appear on AESCLIST my
application would be ceated with disdain along wuth outright laughter y
the more-formally-educated (in "Library Science"...?!) folks actually
involved in filling the position...?!

Meanwhile I wonder how many "fully qualified" applicants could name
all the 78 labels were issued in Canadian versions...and when,,,>!

Steven C. Barr