[78-L] European Recording Copyright Extension

Alan Bunting alanbuntinguk at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 09:48:32 PDT 2011

Some of you will already know there is a real danger that the flawed amended 2009 bill to extend European Recording Copyright from 50 to 70 years will be passed by the European Parliament in the next couple of months without further debate.

The background to this can be found here:

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2011/copyright-term-extension-you-can-
help-stop-it

The explanation of why there won't be further debate (and how we might do something about it) is a little way down the page under the heading "How will writing to my MEP help"

There are links for both UK and European readers to automatically send e-mails to their MEPs. Note that what is being asked of them is to vote for "Renewed Referral" which would result in the matter being discussed again by the whole parliament rather than just being voted on by the Council Of Ministers and thus greatly increasing the chances of the whole thing being amended to something less draconian or, better still, abandoned altogether.

I know that many members of this forum think that it won't be retrospective and thus will not affect the re-issue of vintage recordings but the UK Intellectual Property Office tell me that, although retrospection isn't in the proposal as it stands, things could change.

If you live in Europe I would urge you to use the link to let your MEP know feelings.

Alan Bunting