[78-L] Needle size cart?

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Apr 16 11:18:41 PDT 2011

On 4/16/2011 12:44, Michael Biel wrote:
> On 4/16/2011 12:30 PM, David Lennick wrote:
>> If you have a truncated elliptical 2.0 or 2.1 size, I find that it plays Pathes
>> just fine unless the disc is worn or damaged by steel needles.
>>
>> dl
>>
>> On 4/16/2011 12:15 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
>>>    However, the Pathes are not playable because the needle simply
>>> skids across the top of the grooves.
> This obviously is a vertical sapphire ball Pathe and would have to be
> played with the stereo cartridge wired out-of-phase.  Not only is the
> groove vertically modulated, it is wide and shallow which is why a
> standard stylus skitters across the surface.
>>>    And I have a vary crisp copy of an
>>> Eddie Cantor record on Emerson that has a terrific amount of hiss, but
>>> low sound level.
> This might be a vertical Emerson or a slant modulated groove which
> Emerson used for a time that supposedly played on both lateral and
> vertical players.  Actually it played on neither very well.  Try playing
> it out-of-phase.
As for the Pathe, I tried to use my LP needle with the same results. The
Emerson tracks well.
I am going to take an old Switchcraft No. 668 Stereo selector box, open
it up and do some surgery on it to make an inline phase converter.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.