[78-L] Needle size cart?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Apr 16 10:44:29 PDT 2011

On 4/16/2011 12:30 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> If you have a truncated elliptical 2.0 or 2.1 size, I find that it plays Pathes
> just fine unless the disc is worn or damaged by steel needles.
>
> dl
>
> On 4/16/2011 12:15 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
>>   However, the Pathes are not playable because the needle simply
>> skids across the top of the grooves.

This obviously is a vertical sapphire ball Pathe and would have to be
played with the stereo cartridge wired out-of-phase.  Not only is the
groove vertically modulated, it is wide and shallow which is why a
standard stylus skitters across the surface.
>>   And I have a vary crisp copy of an
>> Eddie Cantor record on Emerson that has a terrific amount of hiss, but
>> low sound level.

This might be a vertical Emerson or a slant modulated groove which
Emerson used for a time that supposedly played on both lateral and
vertical players.  Actually it played on neither very well.  Try playing
it out-of-phase.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com