[78-L] Mommy, why is daddy an archeologist?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Apr 15 20:48:25 PDT 2011

On 4/15/2011 9:53 PM, Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Well. around 1935 the idea of writing and compiling about 78's (the
> only records that existed then..)

No, the Program Transcriptions were still in the catalog.
>   generated the need of a convenient
> term to describe it. What emerged was "discography"...i.e. "writing
> about discs (records)...!
Delauney's publisher assumed that this word was their copyrighted
property, and in the late 30s or 40s served notice on several record
magazines when they published articles with record lists titled
discographies.  I think I ran across this being discussed in The Record
Changer.  I think it might have been at the time of publishing the New
Hot Discography which was the late 40s.  They were soon told to back off
because there had not been any attempt to trademark the word.  (When
Compton MacKenzie was starting up The Grmophione magazine and approached
representatives of HMV for advertising, they agreed and also told the
startled MacKenzie that they were not planning on suing him for
infringing on their trademarked name.)

Last year on ARSCList there was a discussion of whether discography was
appropriate for catalogs of tapes, cylinders, and other non-disc
formats.  We all said yes, and I mentioned that there had been
cylinderographies in the past.

>   So...are we "discists?" or is there a more
> elegant term possible...?!

Are tape collectors "tape worms"?
> ANYTHING is better than "That crazy old f...ogey that buys all those
> ancient records"...?!  Steven C. Barr

I EARNED my Old Fogey status, especially considering what I went thru in
the hospital a couple of months ago.  I have indeed considered the
alternative, and I hope to continue to grow older.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com