[78-L] Mommy, why is daddy an archeologist?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Apr 15 18:53:39 PDT 2011

From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> From: "Dennis Flannigan" <dennis.flannigan at gmail.com>
>>> So his family wouldn't think he was just a 78 rpm record collector
>>>
>> We need a NEW term to describe record (nainly 78 rpm) record
>> collectors/accumulators...! After all, coin collectors can be
>> dignified as "numatasits" and atamp collectors as "philatesists!"
>> How about an impressive designation for folks like myself
>> who own a substantial part of North America's recorded
>> history (in my case over 67,000 78's, out of possibly 2,000,000
>> or aboput 3,4 %)
>> Steven C. Barr
> Shelfisti?
> Discuncoverers?
> Shellackeys?
> Groove Guards?
> Discustodians?
> Vinylists?
> LPing Hands?
> Three Minute Men?

Well. around 1935 the idea of writing and compiling about 78's (the
only records that existed then..) generated the need of a convenient
term to describe it. What emerged was "discography"...i.e. "writing
about discs (records)...! So...are we "discists?" or is there a more
elegant term possible...?!

ANYTHING is better than "That crazy old f...ogey that buys all those
ancient records"...?!

Steven C. Barr