[78-L] Why I love collecting 78's

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Apr 6 18:37:17 PDT 2011

From: "agp" <agp2176 at verizon.net>
> At 14:15 04/04/2011, RMB Jr wrote:
>>Plus digging for records is usually loads of fun!! Also the thrill
>>of buying a
>>record very cheap thats worth quite a bit of money (on the collectors
>>market)
>>when you got it. Like when I paid $6 at a record collector show for
>>RCA LSC-1817
>>(Offenbach Gaitie Parisienne by Author Fiedler & the Bosten Pops)
>>that was worth
>>about $300 & it's now worth around $500 last time I checked.
>
> THAT is one thing that makes the hobby fun. Just got a copy of the
> Shirelles' Decca 78 of  I Met Him on a Sunday (Canadian Decca 30588)
> -- April 1958. Last time I saw it on eBay it went for $250. One guy I
> googled has a copy for $350. My winning bid (and the only bid) --
> $39.95. Why no other bids? Seller claimed the record had an edge
> chip. In reality, it is hardly noticeable being only about the length
> of the with of the spindle hole, and 1/16 of an inch deep, doesn't
> affect play!

I won my first Billie Holiday Brunswick for just over $2; the auction list
sold mostly r&r 45's. The description of the BH disc included "paint on
label" (the previous owner had numbered his 78's using white paint).
Since r&r collectors (mostly 45's) worry as much about label
perfection as they do about playability, they chose to ignore a record
with a less-than-perfect label, they didn't bid on this...my good fortuine!!

Steven C. Barr