[78-L] Why I love collecting 78's

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 5 13:44:07 PDT 2011

At 14:15 04/04/2011, RMB Jr wrote:
>Plus digging for records is usually loads of fun!! Also the thrill
>of buying a
>record very cheap thats worth quite a bit of money (on the collectors market)
>when you got it. Like when I paid $6 at a record collector show for
>RCA LSC-1817
>(Offenbach Gaitie Parisienne by Author Fiedler & the Bosten Pops)
>that was worth
>about $300 & it's now worth around $500 last time I checked.

THAT is one thing that makes the hobby fun. Just got a copy of the
Shirelles' Decca 78 of  I Met Him on a Sunday (Canadian Decca 30588)
-- April 1958. Last time I saw it on eBay it went for $250. One guy I
googled has a copy for $350. My winning bid (and the only bid) --
$39.95. Why no other bids? Seller claimed the record had an edge
chip. In reality, it is hardly noticeable being only about the length
of the with of the spindle hole, and 1/16 of an inch deep, doesn't
affect play!