[78-L] Record collection brings laughs

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Mar 28 19:55:59 PDT 2011

From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>

> Keep in mind, this is the Onion.
>
> http://www.theonion.com/articles/parents-record-collection-deemed-hilarious,282/

The interesting and somewhat ironic thing is that I started my half-vast
shellac archive by inheriting my dad's 3-400 78's when no one else
in my family wanted them...! He was born in late 1908...and died of
lung cancer (40-odd years of smoking non-filtered cigarets!) in 1973.
Thereafter a bought a LOT of 78's from Goodwill et al for prices
ranging from a nickel to a quarter per each...and then discovered
auction lists (I bought gawdknows HOW many 78's from Peter
Leavitt...wonder if he's still among us...?!).

Back then, we had a huge RCA Victor radio-phonograph...which
I was allowed to play my favourites ("Chickery Chick," "The
Broken Record" [Lombardo] and the Mills Brothers' "Good-Bye
Blues") as long as I was VERY careful (I was three ot four at that time!).

Steven C. Barr