[78-L] King Edward VIII 1936 Farewell Speech

Sammy Jones sjones69 at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 28 09:40:42 PDT 2011

I have a copy of this speech on (I think!) Majestic.  I've been meaning to post a question to the 78-L asking about origin.

When I get home tonight I'll try to provide label and matrix info of my copy.

It's obviously made from a U.S. station or network's pickup of the BBC's shortwave broadcast...very distinctive shortwave sound.  I'd love to know what the network or station on the recording is.

After seeing the King's Speech a few months ago I finally read my copy of the People's King, which chronicles the abdication crisis.  The book noted that copies of the abdication speech were immediately made available in the U.S., but notably not in Britain.

Are there sources for this speech other than commercial 78 records?

Sammy Jones