[78-L] Late cast albums on 78

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 18 20:25:11 PDT 2011

On 3/18/2011 4:09 PM, Jack Raymond wrote:
> David Lennick wrote:
>> I see from Kurt's newest auction list that ME AND JULIET was issued on 78s,
>> Victor OC 1012. I wonder (Jack Raymond, you have the answer?) how many others
>> they put out in this format? Especially as late as 1953. And how many other
>> companies still did cast albums at 78RPM..I know of "Kismet" on Columbia and
>> "Top Banana" on 78.
>>
>> OC 1012 is merely the LP number minus the L. RCA was putting out EP 45 rpm sets
>> by this time so you'd think they'd have abandoned the 78 album, and twelve-inch
>> at that.
> CALL ME MADAM was OC-1 for 78s, LOC-1001 for LP
> MAKE A WISH  was OC-2 and LOC-1002
> PAINT YOUR WAGON was OC-6 and LOC-1006
> WISH  YOU WERE HERE was OC-1007 and LOC-1007
> NEW FACES OF 1952 was OC-1008 and LOC-1008
> ME AND JULIET was OC-1012 and LOC-1012
>
> In 1953, besides Victor's ME AND JULIET, there were 78 albums by Decca
> (WONDERFUL TOWN) and Columbia (KISMET),
>
> In 1954 there were 78 albums of film musicals by Decca (GLENN MILLER
> STORY), Columbia (RED GARTERS), and MGM (DEEP IN MY HEART), but
> apparently no stage musicals.
>
> -- Jack Raymond

Two late ones from Decca in 1954:
DA 956: WHITE CHRISTMAS (not in Ruppli, but in the Berlin Songography)
DAU 957: THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS (12" long 78s, Deccalite)

I don't see The Glenn Miller Story in Ruppli but there's also a gap between 957
and 999, the Ford 50th Anniversary Merman-Martin Duet (a single disc, but given
an album number).