[78-L] Late cast albums on 78

Jack Raymond jraymond at alumni.princeton.edu
Fri Mar 18 13:09:17 PDT 2011

David Lennick wrote:
> I see from Kurt's newest auction list that ME AND JULIET was issued on 78s,
> Victor OC 1012. I wonder (Jack Raymond, you have the answer?) how many others
> they put out in this format? Especially as late as 1953. And how many other
> companies still did cast albums at 78RPM..I know of "Kismet" on Columbia and
> "Top Banana" on 78.
>
> OC 1012 is merely the LP number minus the L. RCA was putting out EP 45 rpm sets
> by this time so you'd think they'd have abandoned the 78 album, and twelve-inch
> at that.
CALL ME MADAM was OC-1 for 78s, LOC-1001 for LP
MAKE A WISH  was OC-2 and LOC-1002
PAINT YOUR WAGON was OC-6 and LOC-1006
WISH  YOU WERE HERE was OC-1007 and LOC-1007
NEW FACES OF 1952 was OC-1008 and LOC-1008
ME AND JULIET was OC-1012 and LOC-1012

In 1953, besides Victor's ME AND JULIET, there were 78 albums by Decca
(WONDERFUL TOWN) and Columbia (KISMET),

In 1954 there were 78 albums of film musicals by Decca (GLENN MILLER
STORY), Columbia (RED GARTERS), and MGM (DEEP IN MY HEART), but
apparently no stage musicals.

-- Jack Raymond