[78-L] fast Beethoven

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Fri Mar 11 13:26:26 PST 2011

Thanks, Don, for reminding me.
I guess it was Celibidache's version of "Bolero" I heard first - and it
has always remained my favourite musical piece since.
Celibidache was chief conductor of the Stockholm Philharmonic in the
1960's - it was probably a radio recording I heard; Celibidache rarely
recorded for the gramophone.
There's a youtube clip of the last 7 minutes with The Munich Philharmonic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy9QSPmOGVw
...and another one of a 1971 Danish concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tOvkU1ewlA&feature=related

The magic is that his interpretation, although it lasts more than 18
minutes, never feels slow, as Karajan's does, for instance. It just
captures the essence of the piece: yearning, yet powerful, never
boisterous. And it's all reflected in Celibidaches appearance on the podium.
Ravel himself, actually, got it over with in 16'10 - and it's still one
of the longest "Bolero" on record (recorded in 1932).
Never trust the composer.
Kristjan