[78-L] DVD sets

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Mar 5 17:14:11 PST 2011

On 3/5/2011 7:31 PM, Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> Dr. Biel,
>
> I've pre-ordered my set. I was going to wait, but the bonus DVD tipped the
> scale. I can't wait to see Eugene in color. Who knew it existed in that
> form? Am I correct that it was broadcast after a Jerry Lewis show at 10:30
> P.M.?

Yes, and I am desperately looking for that Jerry Lewis show, or at least
the opening.  He did a parody of the peacock that started normally with
the bird open in B&W and closing to a paint brush -- and then IT
COULDN"T GET RE-OPENED.  It tried and tried and bulged and twisted and
grunted and moaned and finally exploded in a flurry of feathers.  My
sister and I were LITERALLY rolling on the floor in hysterical laughter
for at least five minutes.
> According to Amazon, the ABC specials are included here, and as far as I
> know, these are the same as on the PBS series, which I saw when it was first
> broadcast. But there is so much more that has not been available before that
> makes my mouth water.
>
> Jeff Sultanof

The PBS series re-edited the programs, and only the Eugene is intact.  I
audio-taped the PBS series when it was first on, and saw most of the ABC
specials on their original airings.  I had audiotaped the final
posthumas special, which is how I knew the programs had been altered.  I
was a Kovacs fan since I was about 5 and he was the Summer replacement
for Kukla, Fran & Ollie.  (And the KFO box set is also great!  Complete
shows with ads.)

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com