[78-L] The Fading Sounds of Analog Technology

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Fri Mar 4 13:19:27 PST 2011

What an interesting thread dl opened up here!

How often do you hear: "You sound like a broken record!", generally meaning
you're saying the same thing over and over again, like a locked groove.

Unless you witness the rare visit of an antique locomotive, nobody under 50 has
heard a train say, "Choo Choo!", but kids today still call them that, (of
course, no dog I've ever seen says "Bow wow!".  It has been many years since the
Lone Ranger has ridden again, but every kid still associates the finale of the
William Tell Overture with him.

As David alluded to, movies always show a caller banging on the hook trying to
reconnect with someone who has hung up, I don't recall that such an action ever
accomplished that.

While we're on the subject of movies, has anyone ever seen a pair of binoculars
which show an image with two side by side round fields of vision?

When I'm doing a recording, I always say "I'm spinning", rather than "I'm
rolling", since I haven't rolled anything for many years.  And a common term for
identifying a take is "Slating", even though an actual slate hasn't been around
for eons.

When I was in school, we always called the large panels at the front of the room
"blackboards", years after they had turned green, (I don't know what they are
now).

I'm also sure the term "Honking your horn" refers back to the '20s when a horn
had a goose like sound.

I'd love to hear the sound of an old fashioned push mower again.  I know there
are still push mowers around but they don't sound like the old ones.  I'd also
love to experience the smell of burning leaves again.

I think I've digressed enough for the moment.

db