[78-L] The Fading Sounds of Analog Technology

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 4 13:34:11 PST 2011

I'm thinking that repeated clicking on the telephone switch might have been a
way to reach the operator (remember "operators") at one time..anyone confirm?

The sound of a tape being run backwards with high speed audio when re-cuing a
videotape is something present in every cop drama, but I don't know of any
non-professional machine that would do that.

"Slating" is still present..some people also refer to it as a doing a "slug",
which came from type setting if I'm not mistaken.

Here are a few more lost sounds, from the radio-tv list where this thread first
turned up:

gas station air-lines that 'ding' a bell

the 'busy' tone, as mentioned in the article, but add the 'trunk line' fast
busy tone as well

the static noise of a TV tuned off-channel

the sounds of other AM/FM stations heard between dialing from one to another

short wave radio 'sounds'

the weird thing CB/Ham radio 'SSB' (Single Sideband) does to a human voice

teletype machine / newsroom noises

typewriter key clacks and return carriage dings

..to which I added having the radio dial "off the station"..sometimes you'd do
this on purpose, to favour the treble.

dl