[78-L] fwd: The Fading Sounds of Analog Technology (ramble alert!)

DanKj MLK402 at verizon.net
Sat Mar 5 01:37:42 PST 2011

 Yes, but there's no 'normal' speed for a car. Not that it makes much
difference - I see very few drivers who care whether their speed is safe or
legal!  I bought a car from somebody who must have seen the temperature
pointer ALWAYS at "C", yet that meant nothing to him - the instruction book
was still sealed in a plastic bag in the glove compartment.  The thermostat
was jammed wide open, so the engine took forever to warm up, heat to the
interior quit whenever in motion, and it sucked gasoline.  I think he
figured me for a sucker, buying his crummy vehicle. So, the old-fashioned
pointers probably got me the good deal.

 Did someone mention steam locomotives? I think they did ... I have some
recordings made by a train enthusiast in Buffalo, circa 1948-1952.  He used
a wire recorder to capture puffing locos, clanging bells, shrieking
whistles, slipping drivers, clanking rails, etc.   I find them fascinating,
for more than the train sounds - you can also hear industrial noises when he
was near factories (none of that, today!) and when in quiet areas, even
though in the middle of a city, NO high-speed traffic noise - just birds,
the wind in the trees, crickets and cicadas, the occasional honk of a horn.
The dense canopy of street & yard trees might have been at work, breaking up
noise - Buffalo's 40sq miles had 400,000 trees in 1950, just on City
property.  Aerial photos from 1951 were taken in June or July, and they show
very little of the city - mostly tree tops, touching each other and hiding
most streets and buildings.

 Here's a rare sound:  a real, motor-operated siren .  Not a lot of real
church bells on newer churches, either.  The college near me has a clock
tower with real bells,  playing the familiar Westminster chimes on the
quarter-hours.  Well.  About 20 years ago, its closest neighbors whined long
& loud enough to get the bells turned off after 10pm.  That's in a
neighborhood with a busy expressway & 2 main N-S avenues running through it!
Maybe they liked the traffic noise & the bells were drowning it out?

okay, everybody kill me for rambling about this off-topic topic. Lionel sold
train sounds on 7" 78s,  and a cheesy phono inside a model station, I do
believe.