[78-L] Bye Bye, Borders

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 15:00:51 PST 2011

I think books will be printed at least for a couple or three generations.

I'm self-employed as an independent publisher's representative.  I've worked
in trade (non-textbook) book sales for thirty-seven years.  I've managed
Waldenbooks stores and  independent stores, been a house rep and a
commission rep, worked in sales management at Random House, Warner Books,
and Texas Monthly Press.

Watch for a growth in print-on-demand books as book espresso machines become
more common--maybe in the next year or so at your local Kinko's.  Walk in
the door and order a printed book and it will appear.

Watch for all bookstores to carry fewer titles and cultivate fewer sections
as they continue to specialize and make rooom for other types of products.
The day of the big, big bookstore with all subjects covered is what is going
away.

Watch for the successful stores to be more curatorial so that customers want
to come to browse to find books they didn't know they wanted or didn't know
existed.  The illustrated book will long outlive the all-text book and have
more value.

For the past few years my buyers have been worrying about ebooks and Amazon
and the Big Box stores and Sam's/Cosco and margins and the economy but this
Spring most of them have calmed down as they have realized that they can
survive if they continue to connect with their communities and offer value
to their customers.  They are using social media and hosting inventive
events and celebrating their strenghs.  The good independent stores should
be around for the long term.

Amazon is the villian of this piece. Amazon sells books below cost and
refuses to play on a level playing field with bookstores by fighting the
paying of sales taxes.  I'm not advocating an Amazon boycott.  I'm just
saying Amazon is not the bookstore's friend.  And in many ways the
bookstores have brought things on themselves by not being more of what their
customers have been wanting.

We now just have more ways of consuming words.  Printed books will be part
of that mix.   Anybody listen to a radio lately or gone to a movie?  I heard
that was killed off by television.