[78-L] Oversouling

Jeff Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com
Wed Feb 9 11:56:39 PST 2011

>This writer put his finger on exactly what is wrong with today's singers. . .
>
>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-eskow/christina-aguilera-and-th_b_819979.html?ref=fb&src=sp
>
>Cary Ginell

I read many of the comments on this article and noticed 100%
agreement - no one defended Aguilera or the way melisma is used these
days. It's pretty rare on the internet for no one to express a
dissenting opinion. I hope that this absurd rendition of The Star
Spangled Banner is a watershed moment, and that real interpretation
makes a return (as opposed to singers just showing off their pipes).

I don't think there's anything wrong with melisma per se. It's a
tool, and can be used to add feeling to a performance. It's when
melisma (or any other technique) becomes an end in itself that the
train goes off the rails.

                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 http://swazoo.com/