[78-L] RCA Victor "X" series: preliminary findings

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Jan 20 10:50:54 PST 2011

I did some basic research into my Schwann catalogs and examining items in my collection and was able to put together some info on the RCA Victor "X" series. I was mainly concerned with the series dubbed "Vault Originals," since those involved 78 rpm masters. There appeared to be two series using the "Vault Originals" name, indicated by the prefixes LX and LVA. The LX (10-inch) series began with issue 3000 and continued until 3009. Here are the first ten issues:

  LX
  3000
   Yancey: Blues & Boogie

  3001
   Rex Stewart & his Orchestra

  3002
   Jimmie Lunceford & his Chickasaw Syncopators

  3003
   Ben Pollack & his Orchestra

  3004
   Kansas City Jazz, Vol. 1: Bennie Moten's K.C. Orch.

  3005
   Eddie Condon's Hot Shots

  3006
   Johnny Dodds' Washboard Band

  3007
   Original Dixieland Jass Band, Vol. 1

  3008
   Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers, Vol. 1

  3009
   Backgrounds of Jazz: Jug Bands

At this point, there appears to be a gap in the series (I have been unable to identify 3010, 3011, and 3012); the series picks up again, now using the LVA prefix. I've identified all but a few of the items in this stretch of the series.

  LVA
  3013
   Fletcher Henderson & his Connie's Inn
  Orchestra

  3014
   Wingy Manone, Vol. 1

  3015
   Mezz Mezzrow's Swing Sesssion

  3016
   Backgrounds of Jazz: Blues

  3017
   Jean Goldkette & his Orchestra

  3018
   King Oliver's Uptown Jazz

  3019

  3020
   Harlem in the Twenties, Vol. 1 (The Missourians)

  3021
   Washboard Rhythm Kings, Vol. 1

  3022

  3023
   Earl Hines Piano Solos

  3024
   Sidney Bechet & his New Orleans Feetwarmers, Vol. 1

  3025
   Kansas City Jazz, Vol. 2: Bennie Moten's K.C. Orch.

  3026
   Harlem in the Twenties, Vol. 2 (Charlie Johnson)

  3027
   Tommy Ladnier

  3028
   Jelly Roll Morton's Red Hot Peppers, Vol. 2

  3029
   New Orleans Styles (various artists)

  3030
   The Swing Era, Vol. 1 (Teddy Hill & his Orchestra)

  3031
   McKinney's Cotton Pickers, Vol. 1

  3032
   Backgrounds of Jazz, Vol. 3

  3033

  Ridin' with Red Allen

  3034
   Swing Session: 1935 (Various Artists)

  3035
   Young Fats Waller: Early Piano

  3036
   Joe Venuti & Eddie Lang

  3037
   Duke Ellington, Vol. 1

  3038
   Kansas City Jazz, Vol. 3: Bennie Moten's K.C. Orch.

  3039
   Tiny Parham's South Side Jazz

  3040
   Paul Whiteman's Orchestra w/Bix Beiderbecke

In addition, there was a 12-inch LVA series, that featured pop/stage performers. I was able to identify the first 10 in this series. Couldn't find any others just yet:

  LVA
  1000

  Young Bing Crosby

  1001
   Fred Astaire

  1002
   Russ Columbo; Love Songs

  1003
   Harold Arlen & Cole Porter: Composers at Play

  1004
   Ethel Merman & Gertrude Niesen: On Stage

  1005
   Frank Crumit: Gay Caballero

  1006
   Helen Morgan & Fanny Brice

  1007
   Gene Austin: All-Time Favorites

  1008
   Billy Jones & Ernie Hare: The Happiness Boys

  1009
   Ethel Waters

There are a couple of other series that are worth mentioning, although they are not in the "Vault Original" category. There was a short LPX 10-inch series, of which I identified four issues out of a possible five:

  LPX
  3010
   Jose Bethancourt

  3011

  C. Sharpe-Minor

  3012
   Roy Smeck: South of the Border

  3014
   Russ Case & his Orchestra: Sleepy Serenades

...and then also two pop series, beginning with LXA; 10-inch series (starting with 3000), and a 12-inch series (starting with 1000). Some of the LXA pop series issues were initially released on the "X" label, but around 1955, these were switched over to "Vik." It's interesting to note that my copy of LVA 1000 ("Young Bing Crosby") is on X, but later Schwanns show the rest of the 1000 12-inch series as being on Vik, including the Crosby. I don't have any of the others in the LVA 1000 series, so it would be interesting to see if anyone has these and whether they are X or Vik designations.  I was mistaken in mentioning, in a previous post, the existence of an "LSA" prefix. This turned out to be a typo in my database for the Pick Temple Cowboy Songs 10-incher, which is LXA-3022. For what it's worth, here's what I found so far for the LXA 1000 12-inch series:

  LXA
  1000
   Spencer-Hagen Orchestra

  1001
   Geri Galian

  1002
   Geri Galian: Orchids in the Moonlight

  1003
   Spencer-Hagen Orchestra: Recipes for Romance

  1004
   George Handy: Handyland, U.S.A.

  1005
   Calvin Jackson Quartet

  1007
   Russ Case & his Orchestra: Yesterdays

  1008
   Scottish Country Dances

  1011
   London Palladium Orchestra

  1012
   International Concert Orchestra

  1013

  Hansel & Gretel (soundtrack)

  1014
   Sammy Kaye w/Don Cornell

  1018
   Scottish Country Dances, Vol. 2

  1019
   Deep River Boys

  1021
   Sablon's Best

  1022
   Larry Ferrari: Puppets on Parade

  1025
   Dukes of Dixieland

  1026
   Gordon Jenkins' Almanac

  1027
   Russ Case & his Orchestra: Gypsy Moods

  1028
   Audrey Morris: Bistro Ballads

  1029
   Maltby & Love Scenes from the Cinema

  1030
   Freddie Mitchel: Boogie Bash

  1031
   Lighthouse Singers

  1032
   George Handy: By George!

  1033
   Robert Q. Lewis & his Gang

  1034
   Ben Light: Spotlight

  1038
   Richard Maltby Orchestra

  1039
   Presenting Neal Hefti

  1040
   Jay & Kai: Afternoon at Birdland

and the LXA 10-inch series"

  LXA
  3013
   Ben Light Salutes the States

  3017
   Ben Light: Spotlight

  3018
   Susan Reed: I Know My love

  3021
   Neal Hefti: Music of Friml

  3022
   Pick Temple

  3025
   Tony Pastor's Best

  3027
   Page Cavanaugh Trio: All of Me

  3028
   Marvin "Lefty" Wright (piano boogie)

  3029
   Ben Light: Once Over Lightly

  3031
   Marek Weber: Strauss Waltzes

  3033
   Bill Darnel

  3034

  Red Norvo: Red's Rose Room

  3035
   Matty Matlock: Sports Parade

  3036
   Roy Ross Quintet

  3037
   Black Dyke Mills Band

  3038
   Buddy Brennan: Piccadilly Dance Party

  3039
   Tom Jenkins: Salon Serenade

  3040
   Danny Duncan: Ragtime Jamboree

  3043
   Larry Green Orchestra

  3048
   Neal Hefti: Scotch Broth & Irish Stew

Both of the LXA series have further issues, but I only researched those here, just to determine that none of them involved 78 masters.

Cary Ginell