[78-L] Margaret Whiting RIP

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Jan 13 22:34:08 PST 2011

I recall seeing Butterfield playing with the World's Greatest Jazz Band here
in Seattle about 1978 and he sounded great,  but even his stage presence
seemed sort of melancholy.

My big thrill came after the show when I got to meet and chat with Bud
Freeman,  the first jazz musician I can recall "tuning into,"   via my dad's
copy of Bud's Bluebird of "I Found a New Baby" when I was about four years
old!    It's still one of my fave records,  as is the Butterfield-Whiting
version of Moonlight in Vermont.

Taylor