[78-L] Margaret Whiting RIP

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 19:48:53 PST 2011

I wasn't aware Gil Evans worte charts for Butterfield.I know Bill Stegmeyer had
a piece of the

band and did the charts.I have a CD somewhere of the Butterfield band from
around 1947.The
bamd broadcasted over ABC.I have a few Butterfield black label Capitols of him
like "The Sharp
Scarf" and "Jalousie".The vocalist was one Pat O'Connor whom Al Hendrickson knew
as did a guy I knew named John Hutchinson who called himself "John Holiday".He
is now deceased but
lived here in the Coos Bay-North Bend,Oregon area 20 years ago.I once owned a
Signature 78
of "I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me" done under Stegmeyer's name
featuring Butter-
field.The reverse was a number done by Johnny Bothwell and his Orchestra.I think
it was "22 St-
eps from the Corner".The vocalist was Claire "Shanty Hogan.It was allegedly the
Boyd Raeburn
Orchestra with Bothwell leading.The Stegmeyer side was an octet as I recall.I
wore the record

out listening to Bothwell's alto work.I was playing alot of alto sax at that
time.